Sunday, September 4, 2011

Women and Guns

One of the questions that was always asked of me as a female behind the gun counter was "What's a good gun for a woman?"

And as a woman behind the counter in a gun shop, I never knew the answer to that question. It actually always rubbed me the wrong way. Why?

Because what's a good gun for a man? The one he shoots best with and the one that fits his hand best, right?

So why is it different for a woman? Why do we assume there is a "best gun for a woman" if there isn't a "best gun for a man?"

The other favorite of mine is when the question is asked not to me but by one customer to another, and the one being asked says a revolver because "she doesn't have to think about anything, it's idiot proof."

And the idiot married you, huh?

A revolver is, in my opinion, a good choice for anyone of any gender because in a moment of need, unless the ammo is bad, a revolver will go bang. At 3:00 in the morning when you've just been shocked awake, or when the adrenaline has kicked in, you don't have to worry about what limp wristing the gun is going to do to your gun. A revolver really doesn't mind if you limp wrist it.

But like it is for a man, the right gun for a woman depends on the woman. What does she shoot best and what feels best in her hand? What features does she want? What is her experience? Is she range shooting with it or just tossing it in a bed side table drawer? If she's range shooting, does she plan to compete? Does she feel more confident with a long gun? If she wants a long gun, does she want a shotgun or rifle? Does she plan to also hunt with this long gun? Is she planning to compete with it? The list of questions are endless. And there is something to suit every woman.

When a guy has tried to explain to me that this is not, in fact, the case and that women can't handle the guns men can, I not only use myself as an example but a favorite former customer of mine. We'll call her "Jane" for her own privacy. Jane is about 5' tall and 100 lbs. soaking wet. She's also a little fireball. What is Jane's favorite range gun? A Desert Eagle in 50AE. And yes, she shoots it very well. I use Jane as an example after I answer their questions about what I carry (a 1911 in .45ACP is my weapon of choice) and they make the statement, "Well, you're different."

Why am I different? Why am I suddenly abnormal for a female but wasn't when you asked? I wasn't raised with guns. Truth be told, I've been shooting just a hair over 9 years now. Yes, I am almost 6' tall and have large hands for a female, but if you use that as your reasoning, what about Jane? I still have long nails and wear make up, and get pedicures when I have extra money. So how am I different from Jane or any other woman?

Jane and I have one thing in common... and right now, more and more woman are beginning to rise up and share this trait as well. We aren't afraid. We see guns for what they are and we're at least willing to try. I've met guns that I admitted I couldn't handle. It has happened. But I've never met a gun I didn't at least give a chance. I've shot rifles designed to take down an elephant in one shot (and wouldn't mind shooting them again). I've shot Magnum Research's BFR chambered in 45-70 (and will admit I only took one shot before deciding this was not a fun gun for me). I've shot the Smith & Wesson 500 magnum... and enjoyed it!

My advice is as follows:

Men: don't underestimate your women. If they want a gun, don't pick it out for them. Help them choose one, but don't bring one home for them and say this is what women should have. Let her decide that for herself. She is perfectly capable of making the choice on her own, and in the same fashion you did.

If your woman doesn't want a gun, drop it. Some people are not comfortable with guns, and their reasons are their own. If she supports your sport, consider yourself blessed and consider her a keeper. If she doesn't, that's your problem. But if she does not personally want a gun, do not force one on her. It will do neither of you any good in the long run.

Women: Don't let anyone force anything on you that you don't want. But if you do want a gun, take a stand. Don't have your man get it for you. Don't be scared of anything that doesn't have a 2 as the first number in the caliber. Don't underestimate your own ability to shoot and learn to use the gun well. Try everything you can. When you reach a caliber you can't handle, drop back one. Then from the ones you could handle, figure out which one felt best and which one you shot best. If it happens to have a 2 as the first number in the caliber, great! What matters is your comfort level and what you shoot best. A .45 won't be of any use to you if you can't hold onto it and if you can't hit the broad side of a barn with it! A 1911 isn't the gun for you if you can't pull the slide back to chamber a round. And a Glock isn't your gun if have an issue reaching the trigger. Your gun is your gun. It should fit you and your needs, not what someone else said fits you and your needs. If it's a 22 painted pink, so be it. As long as it fits you!

I tell this to a lot of new shooters, especially women. It took me 8 months to pick out my first gun. In those 8 months, I handled and shot as many guns as I could get my hands on. In the end, I left with a gun that has never been matched in fit or feel. I shot it well and I shot it often. I was comfortable with that gun, and it was an extension of my hand. I've bought many guns since then, and have gotten good and comfortable with all of them. But it took me a long time to figure out what felt right and know what "feeling right" actually meant. The right gun will "sing" to you. You'll know what I mean when it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment